Personal Support Worker
Come join us and help make a difference in the lives of older adults! As employees at a Verve Senior Living Retirement Residence, our primary goal is to help each person, have a great day, every day! Our employees thrive on collaboration and have a passion for excellence, achieving multiple awards including the Order of Excellence in Quality, from Excellence Canada. As part of our team, the things you do are key to helping us achieve our shared vision of helping seniors live longer, better. Oh, and you’ll also have a lot of fun doing it. Want to join us?
Under the direction of the Health & Wellness Manager, participates in assessing and planning the care needs of the residents. Delivers care to residents based on individualized care plan, policies and procedures, established standards of care, and as instructed by the registered nurse and registered practical nurse. Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of all nursing activities.
Successful completion of a personal support worker program that meets the vocational standards established by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, the standards established by the National Association of Career Colleges, or the standards established by the Ontario Community Support Association; and must be a minimum of 600 hours in duration, counting both class time and practical experience time. Or a registered nurse or registered practical nurse who, in the opinion of the Director of Nursing and Personal Care, has adequate skills and knowledge to perform the duties of a personal support worker, or other qualifications as outlined in Section 47 (c) and (d) of the Long Term Care Homes Act. Must be able to communicate both written and orally, in the English language.
- Participates actively in the Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) Program: analyzing trends in care indicators, formulating corrective actions, setting unit goals, and involvement in committees.
- Collaborates with the care team to help develop plan of care for the residents based on their physical, emotional, social and safety needs.
- Provides care to the residents including cognitive, social, and emotional support, according to their plan of care and in a manner that promotes comfort and safety.
- Supports residents’ optimal level of functioning in their activities of daily living while respecting their rights and choices.
- Performs nursing care procedures in accordance with the standards of resident care as set out in the nursing manuals.
- Reports any deviations in the plan of care and the reason for it to immediate supervisor to ensure care needs are met.
- Completes nursing documentation accurately and legibly according to policies and procedures. Maintains health records in compliance with legislations, e.g. Privacy Act, Long-term Care Act.
- Partakes in each resident’s rehabilitation as per department policy and instruction.
- Assists in monitoring and evaluating outcome of specific interventions regularly and offers information or suggestions for improvement.
- Provides ongoing support to co-workers and acts as advocate for residents and families to ensure residents’ rights are protected.
- Utilizes equipment and supplies effectively and in accordance with policies and procedures, manufacturer’s instructions, and health and safety regulations. Assists in maintaining adequate supplies on unit.
- Ensures residents’ living space and personal belongings are kept clean, free from safety hazards, and organized according to residents’ personal choice.
- Observes, reports, and documents changes in the residents’ physical and emotional condition in a timely fashion that ensures residents’ immediate needs are met.
- Participates in all aspects of the staff development program i.e. identifying own learning needs, attending and evaluating education program, and assisting with orientation of new employees, students, and agency personnel.
- Participates in the development of unit goals and objectives, promoting team building, and achieving customer satisfaction.
- Follows routine practices in all aspects of nursing care and complies with other infection control protocols as directed, e.g. outbreak management.
- Fulfills responsibilities according to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and Workplace Hazardous Material Information System. This includes recognizing and reporting health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, and fulfilling responsibilities required by legislation.
- Complies with all relevant corporate policies and procedures.
- Completes all required annual mandatory training/education.
- Participates in self-evaluation during performance review.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
“We accommodate persons with disabilities in the hiring and recruitment process.”
All offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Background Check. We thank all who apply; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Please submit resume to Stefanie Hay: firstname.lastname@example.org referencing PSW Application